The Government of Prince Edward Island recognizes that coaching is one of the key pillars to a successfully developed sport system. There is also a recognition that coaching at the Canada Games level requires considerable investment for coaches. To address these items, the Province of PEI has established a Home Team PEI Coach Development Fund. The Fund will be co-managed by the Division of Sport Recreation and Physical Activity and Coaching PEI with support from Sport PEI. The Home Team Program will provide funding for individuals through their Provincial Sport Organization to support Competition Development Certification and Enhanced coach training opportunities for coaches in the 2021 and 2023 Canada Games cycles. Funding will also be available to PSO’s in the Canada Games Program as well as funding to PSO’s for innovative approaches to develop their Canada Games coaches.
- Provincial Sport Organizations must be the applicant and be in good standing with the Province of PEI
- PSO’s must be able to demonstrate the need and name the coaches the Coach Certification and Professional Development application is supporting
- Coaches named must demonstrate an ongoing commitment to the PEI sport system
- Coaches named must be endorsed by their PSO and currently coaching or working in partnership with their PSO
- Coaches must be permanently residing in PEI
Coach Certification Grant:
- Up to a maximum of $800 per coach between January 1, 2020 and December 31, 2020 will be available to cover up to 75% of course registration fees (workshop training) and up to 75% for completion of certification process (portfolio + evaluation)
- For travel off Island for coach training, an additional $100 travel grant will be available once per coach.
- Coach Certification Grants are available for NCCP Training in Competition Development Stream only, unless it can be demonstrated the course work is necessary as part of the Competition Development Pathway or it is part of the coach requirements as set out in the sport’s Canada Games technical Package.
Professional Development Grant: Up to a maximum of $600 per coach, per year to support professional development opportunities between January 1, 2020 and December 31, 2022. The Professional Development grants are restricted for coaches that have completed their Competition Development Certification or coach requirements as set out in the sport’s Canada Games Technical Package.
PSO Coach Development Grant: Up to a maximum of $1,500 per PSO to develop their own solutions to expand the experience and opportunities for their coaches. These grants recognize the important role PSO’s have in leading and should help to acknowledging your coaches valued contribution. Examples include: a coach is given the opportunity to work with a national team coach, hosting a coach seminar or clinics for your coaches with expertise brought in for specific skills/knowledge, provide a specific honorarium for a certified coach and mentor or other innovative supports and projects.
NCCP Multi-Sport Super Weekend: Free for PEI Coaches, pay upfront and fully refunded after attending.
May 15-17, 2020
Friday May 15, 2020 – Managing Conflict
Saturday May 16, 2020 – Developing Athletic Abilities, Basic Mental Skills and Empower +
Sunday May 17, 2020 – Prevention and Recovery, Make Ethical Decisions
Click to register
- Please note, grants will be awarded on a first come, first serve basis until the approvals match the yearly budget.
- When applying , PSO’s may apply for more than one of the program components above, however you cannot select more than one program for the same event. Multiple Funds cannot be used for the same event, For example, an NCCP Sport Specific Workshop must pick Coach Certification Grant per coach or PSO Development Grant but not both.
Canada Games Sports will have priority for all funding except the NCCP Multi Sport Super Weekend where any PSO may have coaches attend.
- The first round of Applications will be reviewed February 18, 2020 & March 16,2020 for the 2019-20 fiscal Year.
- For questions or additional information, please feel free to contact: