The Curl PEI Board of Directors has consulted with local health authorities, the host club, as well as Curling Canada, and has made the following decisions regarding the 2022 PEI Scotties women’s and Tankard men’s championships:
Curl PEI will proceed with the intent to host the 2022 PEI Scotties Tournament of Hearts as originally scheduled, January 5-9, 2022 with a further decision by December 29, 2021.
Curl PEI will postpone the 2022 Tankard to January 26-30, 2022.
The public health situation continues to evolve rapidly and the safety of curlers, volunteers and officials, as well as staying aligned with provincial health restrictions, will continue to be Curl PEI’s top priority. In the event that either or both of these events cannot be played this season, the following contingencies are in place for those teams that were registered by the deadline:
- Should a team choose to withdraw from either event they may do so, without penalty, a minimum of seven (7) days before the Scotties and ten (10) days before the Tankard.
- If our provincial event(s) cannot be held yet the national event(s) proceed(s), Curl PEI will invite the PEI team that is leading on the Canadian Team Ranking System (CTRS) as of December 26, 2021 to represent PEI at their respective 2022 national event.
- If that team is not available, with at least 50% of the original roster, Curl PEI will invite the next highest ranking team and so on.
- If Curl PEI proceeds with an event(s) and is directed by Public Health to cancel partway through, the following will determine which team Curl PEI will invite as the PEI representative at their respective 2022 national event:
- The team that has already won two brackets.
- If no team has won two brackets, the CTRS leader as of December 26, 2021, unless that team has already been eliminated.
- If the CTRS leader has already been eliminated, ties among bracket winners will be broken by:
- CTRS ranking as of December 26, 2021
- “A” bracket qualifier
Curl PEI will share further plans for these events as well as plans for all other Provincial events as soon as information is available.
For further information, contact Amy Duncan, Executive Director, Curl PEI at 902-368-4208 or [email protected]