CURLING CLUB MANAGER – CORNWALL CURLING CLUB
Established in 1982 and located in Cornwall, Prince Edward Island, Canada, the Cornwall Curling Club is an active and vibrant curling club that hosts daily league play, weekend bonspiels as well as regional and national competitions. The Cornwall Curling Club (“the Club”) is seeking a candidate with a passion for customer service, previous hospitality experience, and a knowledge of bookkeeping to fill the position of Club Manager.
Reporting to the Cornwall Curling Club Board of Directors (“the Board”), the Club Manager is responsible for the overall operation of the Club, including the management of employees, provision of supplies, rental of facility, and the maintenance of financial accounts and filing systems. The Club Manager ensures the Club operates at a high level of efficiency, while creating an inviting environment for members, customers and suppliers.
The Club Manager is accountable to the Board for the application and fulfillment of the following job duties and responsibilities.
Salary: $20.48 per hour / 40 hours per week
What you will bring to the role:
- A proven ability to meet deadlines and work independently;
- Customer service focused with proven ability to build relationships;
- Strong oral, written and problem-solving skills; and
- A flexible schedule throughout the day in order to meet the needs of members which may include evenings and weekends.
What you will get out of the role:
- The opportunity to join a vibrant, friendly and welcoming community;
- A balance of people and paper work with a great flexible schedule to work with your life; and
- The autonomy to set your own pace and style in the position.
Please submit your resume via email to [email protected]. Only those applicants chosen for an interview will be contacted.
Curling Club Manager Job Description
Leads and Manages Curling Club Operations:
- Leads, manages and operates the club at a high level of efficiency on a daily and yearly basis;
- Ensures the Club adheres to all provincial and federal regulations/standards regarding Club operations including, but not limited to:
- Business registration
- Capacity permits
- Liquor license
- Labour laws
- Worker’s Compensation Act
- Employment taxes and sales tax requirements and remittances
- Health standards
- PEICA affiliation
- Ensures the Club is opened and closed properly each day during the curling season, and at the beginning and conclusion of each season;
- Manages the normal hours of operation for the Club, including notification of cancellations;
- Works in collaboration with the ice maker to ensure the ice surface and playing areas are prepared and operating at optimal levels;
- Monitors the building systems of the Club including the ice surface, kitchen and bar operation and recommends upgrades if needed;
- Ensures the Club facility, equipment, and grounds are well maintained;
- Responds to all inquiries (e.g. personal, by telephone, mail or email);
- Ensures the procurement of all materials and supplies required for the operation of the Club, including:
- Supplies required for maintenance and repair issues; and
- Office, pro shop, cleaning, kitchen and bar supplies.
- Promotes and rents ice time to potential rental customers;
- Assists members with ice booking times;
- Takes appropriate measures to ensure the repair or replacement of necessary operating equipment;
- Continuously evaluates programs, procedures and Club practices and makes appropriate recommendations to the Board for any improvements or changes to the Club;
- Seeks new sources of revenues, building on the curling operations and other uses of the facility;
- Acts, in conjunction with the Board Chair, as a liaison with the Town of Cornwall for matters pertaining to the club;
- Creates an inclusive and welcoming environment for Club members, employees, guests and suppliers; and
- Other duties as assigned by the Board.
Collaborates with the Board of Directors:
- Advises and provides support to the Board regarding all issues pertaining to the operation of the facility;
- Establish and maintains a positive working relationship with the Board, Club members, employees and vendors;
- Provides recommendations to the Board and take measures to ensure the financial stability of the organization;
- Updates the Board on Club operations and of any unusual matters that may affect budgets or regular club functioning;
- Attends Board meetings to give an overview of Club operations and to provide the necessary information for the Board to make informed decisions;
- Provides and circulates relevant information to the Board as required, and in a timely fashion; and
- Assists Board members in their respective Executive and committee responsibilities.
Leadership & Management of Club Employees:
- Leads, manages, and supports Club employees, including;
- Hires and trains new bar employees; and
- Interprets and applies PEI Employment Standards Act.
Financial Accounting & Administration:
- Maintains all financial accounts and records in collaboration with the Club Treasurer, including;
- Records, collects and manages membership dues;
- Records and categorizes club sales;
- Accounts payable/receivable;
- Bank reconciliation;
- Inventory counts and balances for bar and pro shop;
- Prepare financial reports as required; and
- Issues relevant employment forms (e.g. T4, ROE).
- Maintains the filing system in an efficient and accessible manner, including:
- Membership information; and
- Financial, business and other files, both hard copy and electronic.
- 1-3 years’ experience in management and/or leadership of a Club or hospitality/retail business;
- Experience in Bookkeeping or intermediate working knowledge of the Simply Accounting software program;
- Experience with managing budgets, expenses, costs and payroll;
- Experience with Microsoft Office products; and
- A clear criminal record check.
Cornwall Curling Club
Board of Directors